President Muhammadu Buhari is not in support of the reported planned declaration of emergency rule in Anambra State, this is according to Governor of the state, Willie Obiano.
The governor made this known on Thursday while speaking to state house correspondents after meeting with the president at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.
More to follow…
Recall that SCOOPER had earlier reported that the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, on Wednesday announced that the Federal Government is not ruling out the possibility of declaring a state of emergency in Anambra State if events emanating show that the November 6 governorship election is under threat.
Mr. Malami said this while speaking to State House reporters at the end of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided over by President Buhari at the Presidential Villa.
Mr. Malami said that the government would take proactive measures to ensure that the democratic order was kept safe (in Anambra).
His words: “When our national security is attacked and the sanctity of our constitutionally guaranteed democracy is threatened, no possibility is ruled out.
“As a government, we have a responsibility to ensure the sustenance of our democratic order. As a government, we have a responsibility to provide security to life and property.
“So, within the context of these constitutional obligations, of the government or the desire to establish democratic norms and order, there is no possibility that is ruled out.
“So, what I am saying in essence, no possibility is out ruled by the government in terms of ensuring the sanctity of our democratic order, in terms of ensuring that our election in Anambra holds and you cannot out rule possibilities inclusive of the possibility of a declaration of a state of emergency where it is established, in essence, that there is a failure on the part of the state government to ensure the sanctity of security of lives, properties and democratic order.
“So, our position as a government is that these elections are going to hold and necessary security in terms of democratic order must certainly prevail for this election.”
Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, has threatened to “go after” parents of persons behind the recent killings in the state.
The southeastern part of Nigeria has witnessed a rise in the number of attacks which has resulted in the killing of people and destruction of properties across the states in the region, including Ebonyi.
Governor Umahi issued the threat on Wednesday after the signing of the contract agreement for the construction of the second phase of the Abakaliki ring road.
Speaking at the signing ceremony which took place at the governor’s office in Abakaliki, the Ebonyi capital, Governor Umahi said the state had had enough of such attacks.
According to a statement by Francis Nwaze, the governor’s spokesman, Umahi said if those behind killings needed jobs, the state will provide for them.
He also warned that if there is a further breach of peace in the state, traditional rulers, coordinators of development centres and council chairmen would be held accountable.
“There will be no killings again or burning of houses in my state. If the problem is that they don’t have anything doing, bring them, I will find them something doing. But if they refuse and you fail to bring their names to me, you will pay the price,” the governor said.
“All I need is information. If they take this offer, I will not arrest anybody. I will empower and integrate them, but nobody should kill anybody.
“About this Monday thing, you must mobilise people to the markets, the security to patrol the streets and everywhere, because you know these boys and you know their parents.