The Ogun State government said it has been able to conduct COVID-19 test on only 55,000 residents, representing one per cent of the state’s population.
Dr. Tomi Coker, the state Commissioner for Health, disclosed this during the inauguration of the Oxygen Therapy Centre in Abeokuta, the state capital, on Monday.
According to Coker, the number of residents that had been tested so far meets the criterion set by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
She, however, lamented over the rising number of COVID-19 cases in the state, saying that the state had assumed a dangerous dimension with its rise from 0.7 to eight per cent.
She said: “Ogun is one of the leading states in the number of tests carried out. We’ve actually hit one person of our population, which is the stipulated number prescribed by NCDC for all states.
“We have tested over 50,000 residents of Ogun State given that our population is about 5.8m. We are now heading to two per cent. Out of the over 50,000 tested, we have about 2,500 positive.”
Coker urged residents of the state to adhere to the non-pharmaceutical guidelines specified by health experts and government authorities, noting that overwhelming situation can only be contained effectively if the protocols are properly observed.
She said: “We are responding appropriately to contain and curtail this second wave but success of our response has to be a collaborative one between the government and the individuals.”
- This Igbo Man Is Nigeria’s Next President, But People Won’t Believe
- “If You Eat These Common Foods At Your Age, You Can Die Anytime”
- Pray For Her: Meet The African Woman That Might Be Executed In China (Photos and Details)
- Buhari Should Close Schools For Another 6 Months Before This Bad Thing Happens
- Drink A Cup Of This For 7 Days To Cure Typhoid Fever
- 4 Years After She Was Fired For Being Too Pretty, See What Stephanie Does Now
- How To Know If A Girl Has A Boyfriend Without Asking Her Directly
- The Man That Made Lt. Gen Buratai Cry In Public (Photos)
- BREAKING: COVID-19 Killing Patriotic Nigeria Leaders – Obasanjo
- BREAKING: COVID-19 Provides A Unique Opportunity To Upgrade Nigeria’s Health Infrastructure – Osinbajo