Residents of Umuoparaemeka village, Ugiri in Isiala Mbano Local Government Area of Imo State have been thrown into an early morning tragedy as generator fumes on Monday wiped out a family of three.
Naija News understands that the family include the husband, Lucius Iwunze, his wife Ngozi and their daughter Geraldine who all died from inhaling generator fumes.
Sources in the village said a member of the extended family visited in the morning and noticed that the doors were still locked from inside.
He was said to have knocked severally without any response; a development that heightened his anxiety and made him attracted the attention of neighbours in the village.
Upon the arrival of the villagers, the door was forced open while the illagers beheld the corpse of the complete family.
While confirming the incident, the Spokesperson of the Imo State Police Command, Orlando Ikokwu said the Police had begun an investigation into the matter, adding that the Divisional Police Officer in the area led his men to the scene and found the lifeless bodies of the victims.
As at the time of this report, the Police spokesman was quoted to have said as thus; “A report was received at the Divisional Police Headquarters, Isiala Mbano LGA, about the mysterious death of three persons. In view of that, the DPO led a team of policemen to the scene and met the lifeless body of Chief Luscius Iwunze, Lolo Ngozi Iwunze and Geraldine Iwunze.
“However, preliminary investigation revealed that they died as a result of fumes (Carbon monoxide) emitted from a power generating set. The corpses have been evacuated to a morgue, and the Commissioner of Police, Imo State Command, has ordered a full scale investigation into the incident.”