Gunmen stormed the Comprehensive Secondary School, Nkume in Njaba Local Government Area of Imo State on Monday and stopped students from taking their examination.
In a report by Daily Trust, the secondary school students were preparing to sit for English Language in the ongoing Junior Secondary School Examination (Junior WAEC) before the gunmen forcefully dispersed them.
It was gathered that both teachers and students fled in different directions as the armed men shot sporadically into the air. The gunmen set ablaze some motorcycles belonging to some of the staff members and students.
A video of the incident showed the students and staff shouting and running for their lives although there were no reports of casualties. Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), CSP Mike Abattam, could not be reached for comments on the incident.
Recall that Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodinma urged residents of the state to ignore the sit-at-home order by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) slated for today(Monday).
WATCH VIDEO HERE
According to a report by The Guardian, Uzodinma made the call while addressing the Church congregation in Service on Sunday, September 12, at the Government House Chapel, Owerri.
He called on residents to go about their normal businesses and activities, adding that those behind the order had been identified and would soon be arrested and arraigned.
Meanwhile, contrary to insinuations doing the rounds, the Nigerian Presidency, yesterday, affirmed that the visit by President Muhammadu Buhari to Imo State was a pleasant experience as he was overwhelmed by the reception accorded him by South-East leaders during his official one-day working visit to the heartland of the East last week.
The presidency, therefore, clarified a statement credited to President Buhari in Owerri, the Imo State capital, where he was quoted to have told Governor Hope Uzodimma of Imo State that “I’ll be careful with your future invitations.”
The statement has since generated controversy in Imo state as the opposition had interpreted the statement to mean that President Buhari was not satisfied with the visit.
To that extent, the Imo State Government has said the opposition in the state would continue to fail in their desperate bid to undermine the Government of Hope Uzodinma and by extension, that of President Buhari.
The Presidency, in a statement titled: “What President Buhari said (didn’t say) in Imo State” issued by the Special Adviser, Media and Publicity to the President, Femi Adesina, maintained that President Buhari’s working visit to Imo state was successful.
The issued statement read in part: “We have observed that President Buhari’s concluding remarks at the meeting with South-East Leaders during his one day visit to Imo State is being deliberately contorted and twisted out of context.
“The purveyors of disinformation want Nigerians to believe that the President bluntly told Governor Uzodinma, ‘I’ll be careful with your future invitations.’ They have adduced different meanings to the phrase, contrary to the context wherein the President spoke during his successful dialogue with leaders of thought from Igboland.
“When he arrived at the banquet hall of Imo State Government House for his last assignment in Owerri, the President was welcomed by over 50 leaders from the South East, who had waited patiently for him for a Town Hall engagement, after commissioning strategic projects in the State.