As a Nigerian president, Late Shehu Shagari was highly revered by some as been a true nationalist, but many people never knew he was a smoker.
Late Shehu Shagari
Despite his addiction, he allegedly never smoked in public places nor his workspace. According to Pat Utomi, Shagari so much respected the Office of the President that he always stepped outside the office space whenever he felt the urge to smoke.
Former President of Nigeria
His grandson, Bello Bala Shagari confirmed some days ago that the former President smoked a lot but stopped the habit in 1984 when he was in detention.
Bello Shagari’s post on twitter.
Although, the late Shehu Shagari has stated this in his autobiographical book titled “Beckoned to Serve”.
In the book, he said; “I never took alcohol, but I once smoked a lot of cigarettes. Before and during my stint as Nigeria’s first executive president.
“I sometimes smoked up to 40 cigarettes a day, but during my house arrest by Buhari-Idiagbon regime, I willingly stopped smoking totally, which means I still gained something from my house arrest by Buhari-Idiagbon…”
RIP His Excellency
The late Shagari was Nigeria’s president between 1979 and 1983. He was overthrown in a coup that was led by the current president, Major General Muhammadu Buhari. However, he died on December 28, 2018.
- This Igbo Man Is Nigeria’s Next President, But People Won’t Believe
- “If You Eat These Common Foods At Your Age, You Can Die Anytime”
- Pray For Her: Meet The African Woman That Might Be Executed In China (Photos and Details)
- Buhari Should Close Schools For Another 6 Months Before This Bad Thing Happens
- Drink A Cup Of This For 7 Days To Cure Typhoid Fever
- 4 Years After She Was Fired For Being Too Pretty, See What Stephanie Does Now
- How To Know If A Girl Has A Boyfriend Without Asking Her Directly
- The Man That Made Lt. Gen Buratai Cry In Public (Photos)
- BREAKING: COVID-19 Killing Patriotic Nigeria Leaders – Obasanjo
- BREAKING: COVID-19 Provides A Unique Opportunity To Upgrade Nigeria’s Health Infrastructure – Osinbajo