The self-confessed child serial killer behind the murder of 13 minors in Kenya, has escaped from police custody.
According to police sources, Masten Milimo Wanjala was being held at Jogoo Road Police Station in Nairobi when he escaped on Tuesday, October 12.
The suspect was expected at the Makadara Law Courts on Wednesday, October 13, to face 13 counts of murder.
It remains unclear how the suspect managed to slip from custody, however, a police signal has been circulated asking officers in the capital city and its neighbouring counties to be on high alert.
Recall that Wanjala, was arrested on Wednesday, July 14, 2021, following the discovery of two bodies dumped near Nairobi, the Kenyan capital.
He confessed to murdering ten children and sucking his victims’ blood in a five-year killing spree. Last month detectives confirmed that Wanjala had killed four minors in Bungoma, bringing to 13 the number of his victims.
The suspect led detectives to two murder scenes in Machakos county, five in Nairobi and two in Kajiado.
In another report, the Ondo State Police Command on Tuesday confirmed the arrest of a man who allegedly opened gunfire to disperse guests at a party at Oba Akoko in the Akoko South West Local Government Area of the state.
PUNCH Metro learnt that as the party was ongoing last Saturday, the suspect, whose identity was not revealed, stormed the venue and shot to disperse the guests when he saw his girlfriend with another man.
Though no life was lost in the incident, many of the guests were said to have sustained injuries as they ran helter-skelter in the confusion that followed the shooting.
A source, who identified the suspect as a security man, explained that he traced his girlfriend to the party after suspecting that she was with another man.
The source said, “The suspect is a security man, but we don’t know the organisation he works for because he was not on uniform. He traced his girlfriend, who was with another man, to the party. I think it was out of anger that he brought out his gun and started shooting
when he saw the lady with another man. The shooting sent all the guests away, including his girlfriend, and the party ended abruptly.”
While some residents claimed that the suspect was a member of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, also known as Amotekun Corps, others said he was a police officer.
The state Commander of the Amotekun Corps, Chief Adetunji Adeleye, said the suspect was not a member of his team.
He said, “I am not aware of the incident and I don’t have any report of such from the Akoko area. The suspect is not one of us; you know there are many security agencies, but I am sure he is not one of my men.”
A police source said the case had been transferred to the police headquarters, Akure, for further investigation. The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, confirmed the arrest, adding that investigation was ongoing.
While also denying that the suspect was a policeman, she refused to confirm his identity.