A missed period is a confirmation for pregnancy, but not in all cases. Research recently reviewed that there are over twelve 12 more reasons why a period may be missed.
However, before you consider any of this reasons, a Pregnancy Test should have been taken and confirmed to be negatives.
Below are the various reason a period may be missed apart from pregnancy;
(1) STRESS: Stress is a negative emotion to the body, alot of body functions go through adjustments when the body identify stress. STRESS is one of the usual reasons why a period is missed. Stress leads to hormonal imbalances and also affect the hypothalamus (the part of the brain that controls involuntary action including the menstrual cycle).
Stress can be experienced in many forms for example, financial problems, career challenges, travelling long distances, emotional stress, physical stress etc.
(2) BIRTH CONTROL:Birth control is perhap the frequent reasons women experience a missed period.
Taking birth control pills triggers alot of reactions in the body. The menstrual cycle is largely control by hormones like Luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone. This birth control pills contain hormones like progesterone and estrogen which prevent the ovaries from releasing eggs and thus may stop menstrual cycle. This may happen when one start and just stopped using the pills and this may last for a period of six to eight months.
(3) CHRONIC DISEASES:certain chronic diseases like celiac disease and even diabetes can affect the menstrual flow. Celiac disease causes inflammation in your small intestine and prevents your body from absorbing vital nutrients. This can also cause missed or late periods. While diabetes on the other hand Blood sugar changes can cause hormonal changes, and poorly controlled diabetes can cause irregular periods.
(4) EARLY PERI-MENOPAUSE:if symptoms of menopause start before the age of 40, it’s considered early perimenopause (the transitional stage that precedes menopause). Early perimenopause means that the supply of your eggs is declining. This can result in a missed period and eventually the end of menstruation. However, in most women menopause begins between the age of 45 to 55 years.
(5) POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME(PCOS):Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a condition that affects a woman’s hormone levels. Women with PCOS produce higher-than-normal amounts of male hormones. Due to this hormonal imbalance, cysts form in the ovaries, making ovulation irregular or stopping it altogether. This results in a missed period. Together with androgens, other hormones such as insulin can also get thrown out of balance with PCOS.
(6) EXCESS EXERCISE: Extreme exercise can cause alterations in body hormones, especially pituitary and thyroid hormones resulting in changes in ovulation and menstruation.
However, it is important to note that light exercise does no harm and thus no need to worry about this. It takes strenuous exercise for hours and hours every day for many weeks to produces these hormonal changes. If you are planning on exercising for hours every day, be
sure to see a sports medicine doctor who can work with you on maintaining optimal nutrition, recommended stretching, and blood testing as needed, so that your body can support all of the physical demands that you are putting on it.
(7)BREASTFEEDING: Recent reseaeches and report have it that many women don’t see their period when breastfeeding. You may not have periods at all or you may have infrequent or very light periods when breastfeeding. However, this does not mean the woman cannot get pregnant. It is a myth that breastfeeding is a form of birth control.
These are some of the possible reasons for missed period. However, more researches is needed in this area.
Kindly remember to comment, share
Hello.... Contact Dr. Mugwenu. He heals pressure, diabetes, ulcers, gonorrhea, syphilis, TB, manhood weakness among other things. The doctor also solves life’s challenges such as love issues, family problems, hardships in business, increases your luck, that is, winning lottery games and court cases, promotions at work and clears away devilish spirits and dreams. For consultation call: +254 740637248 www.mugwenudoctors.com