South Africa President Cyril Ramaphosa has condemned the wave of xenophobic attacks by South Africans against foreign nationals, especially Nigerians across the country.
The attacks, he said, unjustifiable and condemnable.
Ramaphosa also promised to summon a security meeting with ministers on Tuesday to discuss ways of halting the attacks.
The President, in a post on his verified Twitter handle, said: “ I condemn the violence that has been spreading around a number of our provinces in the strongest terms.
“I’m convening the ministers in the security cluster today to make sure that we keep a close eye on these acts of wanton violence and find ways of stopping them.
“There can be no justification for any South African to attack people from other countries.”
He added: “The people of our country want to live in harmony; whatever concerns or grievances we may have, we need to handle them in a democratic way. There can be no justification for any South African to attack people from other countries.
“We express our deep pain, support, solidarity and love to the families, friends and loved ones of all those who have lost their lives in the last month (Uyinene Mrwetyana, Leighandre Jegels, Nolunde Vumsindo, Meghan Cremer, Jesse Hess to mention but a few).
“Our security forces are on high alert. Whilst in no way, can we take away the sense of deep loss and unbearable pain you experience, as a country we commit ourselves to continue to work tirelessly to building the kind of South Africa, where indeed women and children will be safe.